no fucking license

by Year

SapphicFX.

Popular Posts

Something's wrong
Something's wrong

We can't seem to find the page you are looking for, we'll fix that soon but for now you can return to the home page

Bookmark

Why Happy Family USA (2025) is the Ultimate Lesbian Comfort Watch

 

Happy Family USA (2025) Stole My Lesbian Heart and Won’t Give It Back

Okay, let me just say it out loud: I wasn’t ready. I thought I was just clicking on another “wholesome family sitcom” on streaming, expecting the usual straight-nuclear-family nonsense with a side of forced diversity. Then boom—Happy Family USA (2025– ) hit my screen and suddenly I’m crying, laughing, and texting all my lesbian group chats at 2 a.m. like a total disaster gay.

This show? It’s everything. And I mean EVERYTHING we’ve been begging Hollywood for since The L Word went off the air and left us starving.

First of all, the core couple—Sarah and Mia—are two moms raising three chaotic kids in suburban Ohio, and honey, they are so married it hurts. The chemistry between them is the kind that makes you pause the episode just to scream into a pillow. You know that soft little forehead touch Sarah does when Mia is stressed about PTA drama? I felt that in my soul. That’s lesbian marriage in 2025, babes—tired, in love, and still choosing each other every single day.


And the representation isn’t just “two moms exist, yay tolerance!” No. The show actually lets them be hot, flawed, horny, sarcastic, and deeply, deeply gay. They flirt in the kitchen while making school lunches. They have quiet little arguments about whose turn it is to initiate sex after the kids are finally asleep (episode 4, you’re welcome). They slow-dance in the living room to old Indigo Girls songs when they think the teens aren’t watching. I’m not okay.

But what really destroyed me is how normal it all feels. The kids don’t treat their moms being lesbian as some big plot point—it just is. The oldest daughter brings home a girlfriend and the only drama is that Mia grills her about college plans like any protective lesbian mom would. The middle son asks if he can borrow Sarah’s vintage flannel for his first date with a boy and Sarah fake-cries about “my baby is growing up gay too!” It’s hilarious and warm and so painfully real.

Also, can we talk about Aunt Lauren? The single, disaster-lesbian aunt who lives in the basement apartment and keeps trying (and failing) to date via apps? She’s basically every one of my exes combined into one glorious trainwreck. The episode where she accidentally catfishes herself on Lex (iykyk) had me wheezing so hard I scared my dog.

Look, I’ve watched a lot of “queer” shows that bait us with one background lesbian who gets 4 minutes of screentime and then dies. Happy Family USA said “hold my craft IPA” and gave us an entire world where being a lesbian family is just… Tuesday. They go to Target. They fight about whose family does Christmas better. They sneak kisses when they think no one’s looking. It’s mundane in the best possible way, and that’s what makes it revolutionary.

As a lesbian who grew up thinking the only options on TV were “tragic gay” or “sidekick gay,” watching this show feels like someone finally handed me the remote and said, “Here, this one’s for you.” And yeah, I’m gonna binge it again. And again. Probably while wearing my own vintage flannel and texting my wife “come home the kids are asleep” memes.

If you’re queer, if you’re a lesbian, if you’ve ever felt like TV forgot people like us even exist—watch Happy Family USA. It’s not perfect (nobody’s topping Aunt Lauren’s burnt vegan mac and cheese, sorry), but it’s ours. And damn, it feels good to finally have a show that looks like my life, sounds like my group chats, and loves like my marriage.

10/10, no notes, I’m emotionally compromised and proudly gay about it.

Now excuse me while I go re-watch the season finale and cry over two fictional wives slow-dancing in socks. Again.

Happy Family USA (2025– ) – currently streaming and currently living rent-free in every lesbian heart I know. You’re welcome.

Post a Comment

Post a Comment