Why Every Lesbian Needs to Binge "The Sex Lives of College Girls" Right Now
Let’s be real: finding good lesbian representation in mainstream comedy is like trying to find a working vibrator in your freshman dorm – it happens, but it’s rare and usually someone else already claimed it. Then Mindy Kaling and Justin Noble dropped The Sex Lives of College Girls in 2021, and suddenly we have Leighton Murray strutting around Essex College like she owns the place… because, baby, in every lesbian’s heart she absolutely does.
I’m not saying this show was made for us, but season 1 and 2 feel like someone secretly asked a group chat of queer women what we actually wanted to see and then delivered it with a side of chaotic roommate energy. And yes, I stayed up until 4 a.m. rewatching Leighton’s coming-out arc more times than I’m willing to admit in public.
Let’s start with the obvious: Reneé Rapp as Leighton Murray is the lesbian/Bi/Pan/Queer fantasy we didn’t know we needed in 2021. Rich, blonde, mean-girl energy on the outside, absolute gay disaster on the inside. The second she kisses that girl in the bathroom at the Halloween party? I literally paused the show, screamed into a pillow, and texted every lesbian I know. That scene lives rent-free in my head forever.
But here’s what makes the show actually brilliant instead of just hot: they don’t make Leighton’s sexuality the only thing about her. She’s still a spoiled Kappa sorority princess who weaponizes her credit card and judges people for wearing Old Navy. She’s messy, she’s privileged, she ghosted a girl because coming out to her Republican mom felt scarier than any final exam. And that’s… so real. Most of us didn’t have a perfect “I’m gay and everyone clapped” moment. Many of us are still figuring out how to say it at Thanksgiving dinner without starting World War III.
The supporting queer cast doesn’t get enough love either. Alicia (Midori Francis) – Leighton’s first girlfriend – is the soft butch of my dreams. Short hair, flannel, knows how to use a tool belt? Yes please, I’ll be in my bunk. And then there’s Bela’s brief “am I bi?” experimentation in season 2 that actually felt respectful and not just thrown in for male gaze points. Even Whitney’s mom being a closeted lesbian senator gave us that delicious dramatic moment we all secretly crave.
Look, the show isn’t perfect. Season 1 has some pacing issues, and yes, sometimes the straight storylines drag a little when all I want is more Leighton staring at girls like she’s starving. But when it hits? It HITS. The moment in season 2 when Leighton finally says “I’m gay” out loud to her roommates and they just… accept her? I cried actual tears. Not pretty crying. Ugly, snotty, “why am I like this” crying.
And can we talk about the fashion? Leighton Murray’s wardrobe is lesbian catnip. Blazers? Collared shirts under sweaters? Tiny shorts with tights? That girl dressed like every masc-leaning lesbian’s Pinterest board came to life. I’ve tried to recreate at least three of her outfits and failed spectacularly, but the attempt was worth it.
Honestly, in a world where we still get mostly tragic queer stories or side-character lesbians who exist only to teach the straight protagonist a lesson, The Sex Lives of College Girls said “nope, our lesbians are going to be hot, messy, funny, and the absolute main character of their own damn story.” And for that, I will defend this show with my life.
So if you’re a lesbian who’s tired of doom-scrolling TikTok for two-minute edits of Leighton Murray set to Chappell Roan, do yourself a favor: grab some snacks, text your situationship “brb busy,” and binge both seasons. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll probably develop a crush on at least one character who will never know you exist. It’s the lesbian college experience we all deserved but never got.
And if anyone tries to tell you this show is “just for straight girls,” laugh in their face and send them the clip of Leighton making out with Sophie in the library stacks. Case closed.
Stream it. Obsess over it. Become insufferable about it in group chats. That’s the lesbian way.
(Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to rewatch season 2 episode 8 for the 47th time. Don’t judge me – we’re all just trying to survive in this straight world.)


Post a Comment